San Francisco, CA
About TwitchLaunched in 2011, Twitch is a global community that comes together each day to create multiplayer entertainment: unique, live, unpredictable experiences created by the interactions of millions. We bring the joy of co-op to everything, from casual gaming to world-class esports to anime marathons, music, and art streams. Twitch also hosts TwitchCon, where we bring everyone together to celebrate, learn, and grow their personal interests and passions. We’re always live at Twitch. Stay up to date on all things Twitch on, and on our.
About the PositionWe are rapidly expanding the video engineering team at Twitch to deal with the challenging problem of being the 4th biggest consumer of bandwidth and one of the largest gaming experiences in the world. Here’s a short list of current scale:
- Serve more than 150 million unique visitors per month
- More than 2 million peak concurrent users
- 16 billion minutes of video watched each month and growing
- Anticipated scale year-over-year = 2.5x
In order to support this rapid expansion we're investing heavily in tools and automation to help our engineers be as happy and effective as possible. You will be joining a new team that will build the next generation of tools for Twitch's video software and infrastructure teams. These tools will help engineers work more efficiently and deploy more stable software. When you *really* nail it, they'll love the tools and be delighted every day.
We're kicking off lots of new projects here so you'll have an opportunity to design solutions and then implement your vision. You'll work very closely with the users of your solutions, as you'll be part of Twitch's video team. To be successful, you'll need to collaborate with your users and iterate rapidly on what you build.
The video tools team works with software development, devops, and operations teams to specify and develop the next generation of tools used by the organization and help the organization migrate to those tools.
- Build tools that make engineers happy and make them more efficient
- Help the video organization migrate from one technology to another efficiently and completely
- Develop tools to improve continuous deployment and integration testing
- Support developers as they migrate code to use to Twirp, Twitch’s interface description system
- Specify and build systems for centralized logging, monitoring, configuration management, profiling, and credential management
- Collaborate with your customers (other engineers) to understand their tooling needs
- Find opportunities on your own team and others to automate
- Always strive toward continuous improvement and operational efficiency
- Evaluate new systems rapidly to understand their strengths and weaknesses
- Contribute to build vs. buy decisions
- Co-own (with the team) projects delivering team goals
- Write code in Go to support all of the above
- BS in Computer Science or related field or equivalent experience
- 3-5 years of full-time industry experience
- Experience delivering tools and/or development infrastructure for software development or operations.
- Demonstrated ability coding at the system level in a language such as C, C++, Go, Rust, or Python.
- Ability to write documentation for technical users.
- Ability to understand complex systems and formulate wide-cutting improvements.
- Experience measuring performance and optimizing backend services.
- Experience writing Go professionally or significant open-source contributions.
- Experience deploying code in a service-oriented architecture to AWS using multiple AWS features.
- Experience working on large bare metal estates (>1000 hosts).
- Experience with integration testing in a service-oriented architecture.
- Experience automating operational workflows.
- Experience migrating an existing system to a multi-datacenter environment.
- Experience with a configuration management tools such as Puppet, Ansible, or Chef.
- Medical, Dental, Vision & Disability Insurance
- Maternity & Parental Leave
- Flexible PTO
- Commuter Benefits
- Amazon Employee Discount
- Monthly Contribution & Discounts for Wellness Related Activities & Programs (e.g., gym memberships, off-site massages, etc.)
- Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner Served Daily
- Free Snacks & Beverages
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Twitch. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.