Microalgae are potential sources of food ingredients like protein and lipids. The aim of this project is to explore growth of the green algae Chlorella vulgaris using heterotrophic cultivation using various forms of carbon sources, incl. industrial side streams. Specially, we aim to use side streams from grass protein production. The work will involve adapted laboratory evolution (ALE) as well as mutagenesis of Chlorella, and isolation of novel stains with improved growth characteristics on these alternative substrates. The project is part of the GUDP funded project Next Generation Food – EXTEND.
- Setting up ALE with Chlorella vulgaris on various alternative carbon sources.
- Generation of mutants of Chlorella vulgaris.
- Selection of novel strains using BioLector II bioreactor
- Physiological characterization of Chlorella: growth rates, biomass productivity.
- Extraction and quantitative analysis of proteins and lipids from Chlorella.
- Molecular characterization of obtained Chlorella mutants using genome sequencing and bioinformatics.
- A PhD degree in biology, microbiology, biochemistry or biotechnology.
- Practical experience in either microbial biochemistry, genetics, physiology or genomics.
- Excellent English communication skills.
- Good interpersonal skills and interest in working in a team of multiple partners.
Key selection criteria
- Professional qualifications relevant for the position.
- Relevant work experience.
- Language skills.
- Creative thinking.
Further information on the Department is linked at https://www.science.ku.dk/english/about-the-faculty/organisation/. Inquiries about the position can be made to Poul Erik Jensen (email@example.com).
The position is open from 01 January 2022or as soon as possible thereafter. The position is for 18 months.
The University wishes our staff to reflect the diversity of society and thus welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.
Terms of employment
The position is covered by the Memorandum on Job Structure for Academic Staff.
Terms of appointment and payment accord to the agreement between the Ministry of Finance and The Danish Confederation of Professional Associations on Academics in the State.
The application, in English, must be submitted electronically by clicking APPLY NOW below.
- Curriculum vitae
- Diplomas (Master and PhD degree or equivalent)
- Research plan – description of current and future research plans
- Complete publication list
- Separate reprints of 3 particularly relevant papers
The deadline for applications is 15 October 2021, 23:59 GMT +1
After the expiry of the deadline for applications, the authorized recruitment manager selects applicants for assessment on the advice of the Interview Committee.
You can read about the recruitment process at https://employment.ku.dk/faculty/recruitment-process/.
Interviews will be held in week 46.